Monday, August 12, 2013

Bread Omelette

ब्रेड ऑमलेट

Bread and an Omelette with onions, chilli and coriander was a favourite dish of my dad's and also, one of those dishes that he loved to make and perhaps one of the few that he would make the best, in fact better than anyone else. I will never forget his tip of putting cardamom in chicken curry to get rid of the chickeny odour.

He would say that as long as one knew how to cook a decent omelette one would be able to survive a hostel life in Mumbai forever, a city in which he has spent over 17 years of his life, to be a successful doctor and paediatric surgeon.


Here is my version of an omelette, wherein, I have created a half cooked omelette and pressed in a center-cut slice of toasted light rye bread. Then I turned the omelete over and let it cook, covered on low heat.

The secret to making a decent, moist, and yummy omelette with minimal oil is to use a lid and a low flame. Frankly, it will take but a couple of minutes longer than a normal egg dish, but you are guaranteed an edible dish.

I served myself this omelette with a sauce I bought from Northern California, USA. A souvenir to be consumed, locally made; which is to be enjoyed till the last drop (not a t-shirt made in a sweatshop). Its an orange, chilli and garlic marinade+sauce. At first, I thought it is a man Norman Bishop but turns out it is two women.
It turns out beautiful to taste and a gorgeous fresh red hue. I would love to use this sauce as a marinade soon and my housemate thinks we should order more!

Love,
M.

1 comment:

  1. Love that omelette. Hope we get to eat one when we come over.
    I am sure KD smelled its aroma and his mouth must have watered.

    ReplyDelete